Lodge level honorary award?
Doug Freyburger
2009-11-08 16:49:47 UTC
Brethren,

Does your jurisdiction have a standardized award to honor a brother who
has made a well above average contribution to the lodge and/or to
Masonry in general, but who for one reason or another never went through
the line? For brothers who did go through the line there the title of
Past Master. For brothers who are not members but who regularly attend
and help out some jurisdictions offer honorary membership.

I would like to know if your juridicion has an award of this sort like
the red hat at Scottish Rite.

California has a Hiram Award for this. Some juridictions have such an
award; some don't.

The men who have been given this award are the backbone of the lodge,
the mentors to be emulated.
Rob Sandilands
2009-11-08 20:28:24 UTC
Post by Doug Freyburger
Brethren,
Does your jurisdiction have a standardized award to honor a brother who
has made a well above average contribution to the lodge and/or to
Masonry in general, but who for one reason or another never went through
the line? For brothers who did go through the line there the title of
Past Master. For brothers who are not members but who regularly attend
and help out some jurisdictions offer honorary membership.
I would like to know if your juridicion has an award of this sort like
the red hat at Scottish Rite.
California has a Hiram Award for this. Some juridictions have such an
award; some don't.
The men who have been given this award are the backbone of the lodge,
the mentors to be emulated.
... in Queensland, there are three ways that Brethren like those you
refer to can be honoured ...

... there is the Grand Master's Order of Service to Masonry ...

... there are the Charity Jewels of various grades that can be presented
with 'the esteem of the Brethren' ...

... and there are also special Jewels of Office that can be awarded for
conspicuous service to the Lodge in a particular office such as
secretary, organist etc ...
Stuart H.
2009-11-09 16:44:31 UTC
Post by Doug Freyburger
Brethren,
Does your jurisdiction have a standardized award to honour a brother who
has made a well above average contribution to the lodge and/or to
Masonry in general, but who for one reason or another never went through
the line? For brothers who did go through the line there the title of
Past Master. For brothers who are not members but who regularly attend
and help out some jurisdictions offer honorary membership.
I would like to know if your jurisdiction has an award of this sort like
the red hat at Scottish Rite.
California has a Hiram Award for this. Some jurisdictions have such an
award; some don't.
The men who have been given this award are the backbone of the lodge,
the mentors to be emulated.
In Alberta, Canada, we have the "Masonic Medal of Merit" for which a
Brother may be nominated. It is based on the requirements that you
suggest, but includes civic as well as Masonic service among the
meritorious actions for which he is being recognized.
There is a committee of GL that examines any and all annual submissions,
and, if deemed worthy, the Brother is so honoured and presented at the
annual session of Grand Lodge.
This year two were awarded in our whole jurisdiction.

Stuart H.
Baseline Lodge #198
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Doug Freyburger
2009-11-10 22:30:44 UTC
Post by Stuart H.
Post by Doug Freyburger
I would like to know if your jurisdiction has an award of this sort like
the red hat at Scottish Rite.
California has a Hiram Award for this. Some jurisdictions have such an
award; some don't.
It turns out the California GL's web site www.freemason.org offers login
accounts for members of California lodges. I'm a life member of
Pasadena 272. I registered myself, downloaded the entire text of the
constitution and by-laws and found the exact wording that defines the
award. It's limited to one award per lodge per year. it is not
required to give an award every year. It's primary intent was brothers
active other than in line but it does not forbid PMs.
Post by Stuart H.
Post by Doug Freyburger
The men who have been given this award are the backbone of the lodge,
the mentors to be emulated.
In Alberta, Canada, we have the "Masonic Medal of Merit" for which a
Brother may be nominated. It is based on the requirements that you
suggest, but includes civic as well as Masonic service among the
meritorious actions for which he is being recognized.
There is a committee of GL that examines any and all annual submissions,
and, if deemed worthy, the Brother is so honoured and presented at the
annual session of Grand Lodge.
This year two were awarded in our whole jurisdiction.
Thanks for the responses brothers!

That's even more strict than the white hat 33rd degree from the Scottish
Rite. It's almost a Mason of the Year Award that's given out by some
GLs.

On civic activity -

One time at a Scottish Rite event a white hat member told me you could
be awarded a 33rd degree "By spending 20 years in the kitchen or walking
on the Moon". I laughed because the valley had at least one member of
the US House of Representatives with a white hat and because the brother
saying that was given his 33rd degree when he was passing through the
grand line. In fact he qualified by having served 20 years in the
kitchen, and by being a PGM, and a list of other qualifications. He was
so eminant even among PGMs that the California Mason of the Year Award
is now named for him.

So mixing apples and oranges I get a list of relative levels of honor -

Red hat (KCCH or KSA depending on SR jurisdiction) - A few per year per
valley

Hiram award - A maximum of one per year per lodge

White hat 33rd - A few per year per valley

Masonic Medal of Merit - A few per year per jurisdiction

Roy Henville Memorial Mason of the Year Award - One per year per large
jurisdiction.

KIV11
2009-11-09 16:44:42 UTC
Post by Doug Freyburger
Brethren,
Does your jurisdiction have a standardized award to honor a brother who
has made a well above average contribution to the lodge and/or to
Masonry in general, but who for one reason or another never went through
the line? ï¿œFor brothers who did go through the line there the title of
Past Master. ï¿œFor brothers who are not members but who regularly attend
and help out some jurisdictions offer honorary membership.
I would like to know if your juridicion has an award of this sort like
the red hat at Scottish Rite.
California has a Hiram Award for this. ï¿œSome juridictions have such an
award; some don't.
The men who have been given this award are the backbone of the lodge,
the mentors to be emulated.
Doug;

In our jurisdiction, GL of NY F&AM, the Grand Lodge has an award given
to members who dedicate their hard work to their own lodge. It is not
for additional work done in the District or the State, but for a
brothers devotion and hard work within his own lodge. It is called the
"Dedicated Service Award". There is one awarded in every District for
each 5 lodges in the district. If a district has only 5 lodges, one
award, if the district has 10 lodges, 2 awards and so on. This is done
each year.based upon written nomination to the GL committee
responsible. The awardee receives a special DSA, GL apron, certificate
and lapel pin. In addition, the brother is authorized to put DSA after
his name on all Masonic correspondence.

I was so honored 3 years ago.

George K.
jack Wise
2009-11-09 22:18:51 UTC
Texas has the "Golden Trowel" Award. It is a Grand Lodge Award, but the
receipiant is selected by the local Lodge. It may be given to a Past
Master, or long term officer such as the Lodge Secretary or Treasurer,
but in that case the it must be 3 years since to officer has held
office. It is primarily designed to recognize the Brother who
selflessly dedicates his time and treasure to the Lodge year after year.
--
Jack Wise
PM, Jacques DeMolay Lodge No. 1390, Grand Lodge of Texas