Town Hall Meetings in Illinois
Torence
2011-04-07 14:13:51 UTC
Well its that time of year again, Time to consider changes to the legislation, if any, here in Illinois. For us, any proposed revisions have to be in before the end of June and have the endorsement of three Past Masters. In our area it has been suggested that we try again on some of the alterations that did not go through the first time such as changes to our Life Membership Program (Our Code 271) and the Constitutional change to lift the residency requirement for Grand Lodge Officer participation.

New discussion centers around the idea to repeal Code 484 and that portion of our Book that involves discipline. Code 484 reads: “The offenses of which a lodge may take cognizance, and to which it shall give full, fair and lawful trial, and for which upon conviction administer adequate punishment are unlawful and immoral conduct, immorality, and particularly acts which intend to impair the good name of masonry or which violate Masonic obligation, or the by-laws and regulations of the lodge of Grand Lodge.”

Generally, the Craft is more satisfied than ever with the performance of the Grand Line and our Grand Master Rick Swaney has been touring the state doing town hall meetings. He is in West Chester tomorrow night and will have another session on the 28th of this month. I will be at Joliet on Saturday morning along with the Grand Line Officers doing a Class.

A stand against the more primitive jurisdictions who treat their membership poorly, such as West Virginia, has been sought; but the general consensus among the various Grand Lines is to keep to their own jurisdictional matters. We had a rash of malfeasance on the part of Lodge Book Officers exposed this year, as is all too disappointingly common when economic times are difficult.

We sold our Elder Care Home in Sullivan to the company that managed it a few years ago and an accounting of the details of the sale is sought by the membership.

Are there any thoughts about discipline or topics from the Craft At Large or changes in your jurisdictions that we may find a benefit?

Fraternally,
Torence Evans Ake
Secretary – Auburn Park Lodge No. 789 – Crete, Illinois
HM – Triluminar Lodge No. 767
PM – Arcadia Lodge No. 1138 – Lansing, Illinois
Doug Freyburger
2011-04-07 21:59:40 UTC
Post by Torence
In our area it has been suggested that we try again on some of the
alterations that did not go through the first time such as changes to
our Life Membership Program (Our Code 271) and the Constitutional
change to lift the residency requirement for Grand Lodge Officer participation.
If you intend to submit either I would be glad to visit and sign the
petitions.
Post by Torence
A stand against the more primitive jurisdictions who treat their
membership poorly, such as West Virginia, has been sought; but the
general consensus among the various Grand Lines is to keep to their own
jurisdictional matters.
Any interest in presenting that as legislation to force their hand? I
would be glad to visit pen in hand.

I am starting to wonder if it is time to start charging dues to EAs and
FCs. Welcoming them to Stated meetings in the style of all
jurisdictions outside of NA has been wildly successful. Charging them
dues and giving them votes should work the same.

In Illinois there's a ritual reason for charging FCs dues. The word
"worthy" appears in the FC obligation. One of the diverse meanings for
that word is "current on his dues".
Torence
2011-04-08 20:48:44 UTC
Post by Torence
In our area it has been suggested that we try again on some of the
alterations that did not go through the first time such as changes to
our Life Membership Program (Our Code 271) and the Constitutional
change to lift the residency requirement for Grand Lodge Officer participation.
If you intend to submit either I would be glad to visit and sign the
petitions.
Hello Doug- It has been awhile (six months or so). In November, I stared my own company as an advocate for C-Store Franchisees. Remember the scene that I caused in Masonry in 2003? Now I am doing that to retail. I do have my fun; and, it’s a good living.
I am having a little trouble working out the logistics of getting to the Grand Master’s Town Hall Meeting in West Chester tonight (10210 Canterbury). I have a client in Elgin today but he doesn’t like to start work until ten. If I can hook up with a Brother attending the meeting, I might be there. But our District is scheduled for the one in Matteson Lodge on the 28th. In any event, I will be at the Grand Master’s Class in Joliet tomorrow (350 N. Midland) as I am playing the part of the first bad guy. We have our regular stated meeting on the 19th. By the time that our group assembles for our District Meeting on Saturday, May 14th, I would like to see finalized versions of proposed changes finished. That leaves plenty of time to spare for submission.
Post by Torence
A stand against the more primitive jurisdictions who treat their
membership poorly, such as West Virginia, has been sought; but the
general consensus among the various Grand Lines is to keep to their own
jurisdictional matters.
Any interest in presenting that as legislation to force their hand? I
would be glad to visit pen in hand.
IMHO, the time to have done this was 2007. As you know I was just coming off my extended Masonic vacation about that time (2005). Our Lodge got its charter back and relocated to Crete whose home Lodge never treats another Brother as a cowan or eavesdropper, an outsider looking in. Like any civil struggle the resolution leaves no one satisfied, accept perhaps those who earn their living by arguing. I am thinking that what can be done is to affirm what Dr. Anderson stated in 1723, that:
“…to put a speedy period to all lawsuits, that so you may find the affair of Masonry with the more alacrity and success; but with respect to Brothers or Fellows at law, the Master and brethren should kindly offer their mediation, which ought to be thankfully submitted to by the contending brethren; and if that submission is impracticable, they must however carry on their process, or law-suit, without wrath and rancor (not in the common way) saying or doing nothing which may hinder brotherly love, and good offices to be renew'd and continu'd; that all may see the benign influence of Masonry, as all true Masons have done from the beginning of the world, and will do to the end of time.”
Thusly, we recognize that the particularly bull headed among us who profess to be Masons must be reminded of the Charges from time to time. We need not have anything to do with bad sports who are Masons by dues card only; and, who hold onto their grudges like women knowing nothing about how men shake hands and share a drink after fighting a good fight.

I am starting to wonder if it is time to start charging dues to EAs and
FCs. Welcoming them to Stated meetings in the style of all
jurisdictions outside of NA has been wildly successful. Charging them
dues and giving them votes should work the same.
Would these dues be graduated? i.e. Differing amounts for EA & FC? And, would the Grand lodge collect a per Capita from them in your proposal? Let me know the details and I will work out the language for you (and reciprocate with an autograph, of course).

Fraternally,
Torence Evans Ake
Secrtary – Auburn Park Lodge No. 789 – Crete, Illinois
HM – Triluminar Lodge No. 767 – Lansing, Illinois
PM- Arcadia Lodge No. 1138 – Lansing, Illinois
Doug Freyburger
2011-04-12 01:40:42 UTC
Post by Torence
Post by Doug Freyburger
I am starting to wonder if it is time to start charging dues to EAs and
FCs. Welcoming them to Stated meetings in the style of all
jurisdictions outside of NA has been wildly successful. Charging them
dues and giving them votes should work the same.
Would these dues be graduated? i.e. Differing amounts for EA & FC?
And, would the Grand lodge collect a per Capita from them in your
proposal?
My concept is regular membership. No difference in dues or per capita.
EAs and FCs get the usual dues bill and get to vote. A lengthy list of
events remain open to MMs only and that becomes the primary motication
to advance through the degrees. We've already seen that being welcomed
to Stated meetings results in better advancement not worse advancement
so the worry about losing the motivation to attend Stated meetings has
fallen. Besides, I've been to Stated meetings - I knew in advance that
objection won't last the first EA attending the first Stated meeting.
Post by Torence
Let me know the details and I will work out the language for
you (and reciprocate with an autograph, of course).
This year I will pass. I have submitted an item for Lodge of Research.
On my calendar for May is to request a pair of updates to the Grand
Masters Award of Excellence program. That's plenty of involvement for
the year.

I just learned that our Treasurer has demitted. I discussed the
situation with my wife. She put her foot down. I can continue my third
pass through the line but I can not volunteer to be Treasurer. Is any
brother in the Chicago metro area interested in affiliating with a lodge
and becoming Treasurer? The nice big comfy chair comes equiped with a
fresh supply of the usual crazy glue!

Fraternal regards,
Doug Freyburger
PM 2007-8 Arlington Heights 1162 Illinois AF&AM current SD