Masonry at the South Pole
KIV11
2010-06-26 00:05:38 UTC
My brothers;

One of our brothers has recently been hired by a government contractor
to work at the scientifc base built at the South Pole for one year
starting in October 2010. Does anyone know which Grand Lodge has
jurisdiction over the South Pole and/or Antartica? If so, does anyone
know of any Masonic activities or lodge meetings that take place down
there?

Fraternally,
George K.
Offramp
http://www.freemasons-freemasonry.com/zeldis15.html
R***@hotmail.com
2010-06-27 14:29:35 UTC
Post by Offramp
Post by KIV11
My brothers;
One of our brothers has recently been hired by a government contractor
to work at the scientifc base built at the South Pole for one year
starting in October 2010. Does anyone know which Grand Lodge has
jurisdiction over the South Pole and/or Antartica? If so, does anyone
know of any Masonic activities or lodge meetings that take place down
there?
Fraternally,
George K.
http://www.freemasons-freemasonry.com/zeldis15.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Antarctica
gives population and bases.
and the following url shows where bases are located.

I know that there has been a meeting of Freemasons in Anarctica -
possibly at Scott Base, but possibly at McMurdo.

I'm not aware of any formal lodge meeting in Antarctica.

Mudge
2010-06-27 02:52:19 UTC
Post by KIV11
My brothers;
One of our brothers has recently been hired by a government contractor
to work at the scientifc base built at the South Pole for one year
starting in October 2010. Does anyone know which Grand Lodge has
jurisdiction over the South Pole and/or Antartica? If so, does anyone
know of any Masonic activities or lodge meetings that take place down
there?
No - but I bet they shiver a lot !
--
BES (in Calgary)
Save our precious CO2 - plant many trees
Rob Sandilands
2010-06-27 07:49:46 UTC
Post by KIV11
My brothers;
One of our brothers has recently been hired by a government contractor
to work at the scientifc base built at the South Pole for one year
starting in October 2010. Does anyone know which Grand Lodge has
jurisdiction over the South Pole and/or Antartica? If so, does anyone
know of any Masonic activities or lodge meetings that take place down
there?
Fraternally,
George K.
... given the territorial arrangements, I would suspect that the
jurisdiction may differ in each national antarctic base ... with the
Australian base, things might be even more blurred as there is no
national jurisducation ... each state of the commonwealth is a
jurisdiction ... the physically nearest Australian jurisdiction to
Australia's antarctic base in the Grand Lodge of Victoria and Tasmania ...

... I gather that the south pole itself is not actually within the
boundaries of any national antarctic base, so I suppose that there is an
open door for a new GL ...