Hiram of Tyre's Prayer
Torence
2010-10-21 14:22:03 UTC
“Thou, Oh God, knowest our downsitting and our uprising, and
understandest our thoughts afar off…” Most Master Masons will
recognize Hiram of Tyre’s Prayer and expect it to be taken verbatim
from the scriptures. Actually it is a compilation of several thoughts
scattered throughout Psalms, Job and Isaiah. Does anyone know who put
this together? Researching the original phrases, this prayer has some
remarkable references.

Fraternally,
Torence Evans Ake
Secretary – Auburn Park Lodge No. 789 – Crete, Illinois
PM – Arcadia Lodge No. 1138 – Lansing, Illinois
Richard
2010-10-26 04:09:09 UTC
I never knew Hiram of Tyre spoke or wrote English - so I very much doubt
it's actually his prayer.

I also have no idea who put the words together that you are referring to, as
the prayer (as far as I am aware) is unknown in post-Union masonic ritual

S & F regards
Richard

Offramp
2010-10-26 04:09:21 UTC
Post by Torence
“Thou, Oh God, knowest our downsitting and our uprising, and
understandest our thoughts afar off…”
I'm in UGLE and I have never heard of the prayer. The word downsitting
reminds me of the word often used at the Festive Board: brethren
please be upstanding...
Torence
2010-10-26 22:19:36 UTC
Post by Offramp
Post by Torence
“Thou, Oh God, knowest our downsitting and our uprising, and
understandest our thoughts afar off…”
I'm in UGLE and I have never heard of the prayer. The word downsitting
reminds me of the word often used at the Festive Board: brethren
please be upstanding...
Here in the US I know that Illinois, Maryland, Virginia, Texas, New
Jersey and Pennsylvania uses it. It is a compilation of several
verses. It starts with Pslams 139:2 with the plural “our” being
substituted for “my.” The rest is taken out of several Joban verses.
“Man that is born of woman…” is from Job 14:1. “Seeing his days are
determined…: is Job 14:5 “But man dieth…” is Job :7 and so on. The
prayer closes with a benediction referencing a phrase from Isaiah
45:17 “…save them with an everlasting salvation.”

“Thou O God! Knowest our downsitting and our uprising and
understandest our thoughts afar off. Shield and defend us from the
evil intentions of our enemies and support us under the trials and
afflictions we are destined to endure while traveling through this
veil of tears. Man that is born of woman is of few days and full of
trouble. He cometh forth as a flower and is cut down; he fleeth also
as a shadow and continueth not. Seeing his days are determined, the
number of his months is with Thee; Thou hast appointed his bounds that
he cannot pass; turn from him that he may rest till he shall
accomplish his day. For there is hope of a tree if it be cut down that
it will sprout again and that the tender branch thereof will not
cease. But man dieth and wasteth away; yea, man giveth up the ghost
and where is he? As the waters fail from the sea and as the flood
decayeth and drieth up, so man lieth down and riseth not up until the
heavens shall be no more. Yet, O Lord, have compassion upon he
children of Thy creation, administer them comfort in time of trouble,
and save them with an everlasting salvation. Amen.

Stuart H.
2010-10-27 03:07:28 UTC
Post by Torence
Post by Offramp
Post by Torence
[...]
Does the GAOTU only understand Elizabethan English?

Stuart H.
Treasurer - Baseline Lodge #198 AF&AM
Alberta, Canada
Chris H
2010-10-27 11:44:02 UTC
Post by Stuart H.
Does the GAOTU only understand Elizabethan English?
No... But neither do most Freemasons. The problem is *translating* form
Elizabethan English to Modern English (or American) Words had a
different meaning back then. The Import was different.

S&F
Chris
Doug Freyburger
2010-10-27 15:27:13 UTC
Post by Stuart H.
Does the GAOTU only understand Elizabethan English?
There must be a lot of brothers who want to be real Patrick Stewart
style actors but who aren't quite willing to shave their heads yet. So
the degrees have actring flourishes. It's fun in addition to deeply
meaningful.

That prayer is tough to learn. It rambles.
Doug Freyburger
2010-10-27 11:44:07 UTC
Post by Torence
Here in the US I know that Illinois, Maryland, Virginia, Texas, New
Jersey and Pennsylvania uses it.
I learned the same prayer in California and I've heard it in third
degrees in Washington state.
Torence
2010-10-27 15:27:34 UTC
I have always taken the phrase to be a plea for heavenly compassion
and that it would translate to: "Know our ups and downs and understand
how that makes us feel." The prayer giver then asks for protection. It
is in the Thomas Smith Webb ritual and I was wondering if it was any
older than that or if Webb was the source? Does anyone know how the
Webb ritual compares to its contemporary English equal? This prayer
seems to be strictly an Americanism in the ritual.

Charlie Basso, M.Sc.
2010-11-11 23:14:03 UTC
Post by Torence
Post by Offramp
Post by Torence
“Thou, Oh God, knowest our downsitting and our uprising, and
understandest our thoughts afar off…”
I'm in UGLE and I have never heard of the prayer. The word downsitting
reminds me of the word often used at the Festive Board: brethren please
be upstanding...
Here in the US I know that Illinois, Maryland, Virginia, Texas, New
Jersey and Pennsylvania uses it.
You can add Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan to the list.
/home/clb/.sigs/pynch_lodge.txt
Tom K>
2011-08-19 18:28:30 UTC
It is part of the California 3° ritual, and also part of the California

funeral ritual.

Tom Krummell, PM

Penrhyn Gold Hill #32

Penryn CA
Post by Charlie Basso, M.Sc.
R***@hotmail.com
2011-09-12 01:52:20 UTC
It is part of one version of the New Zealand 3rd degree ritual (which
has two alternatives, one based largely on Emulation, the other
largely on a Scottish working - this prayer is in the Scottish
alternative.

It starts: "Thou, O God, knowest our down-sitting and uprising, and
understandest our thoughts afar off. Shield and defend us from the
evil intentions of our enemies, and support us under the trials and
difficulties we are destined to endure while travelling through this
vale of tears. "

We also have people using the phrase "Brethren please be upstanding" -
I believe that merely reflects the desire to use long words instead of
a simple direction - or perhaps because there is a feeling that people
need the reminder to turn from their misbegotten ways . . . - I try to
remember to say "please stand" or "please rise"!

Cheers
Rich
R***@hotmail.com
2010-10-27 11:43:56 UTC
Post by Offramp
Post by Torence
“Thou, Oh God, knowest our downsitting and our uprising, and
understandest our thoughts afar off…”
I'm in UGLE and I have never heard of the prayer. The word downsitting
reminds me of the word often used at the Festive Board: brethren
please be upstanding...
That expression is used where there are members of the lodge who need
a frequent injunction to be so. I am told that in one lodge where
members were asked to be upstanding they didn't move - the DC had to
find another word . . .
Charles
2010-10-28 11:13:15 UTC
Post by Offramp
I'm in UGLE and I have never heard of the prayer. The word downsitting
reminds me of the word often used at the Festive Board: brethren please
be upstanding...
That expression is used where there are members of the lodge who need a
frequent injunction to be so. I am told that in one lodge where members
were asked to be upstanding they didn't move - the DC had to find
another word . . .
And here in Queensland, Australia, the term/phrase ("Be upstanding") is
frowned upon also. *All* Brethren should *always* be upstanding, they
are, after all, supposed to be of strong moral stuff.

However, they will need to *rise* to drink any toasts. :-) And so whoever
is proposing the toast, asks them to do so.

Charles Burrell
WM Maranoa Lodge #47 UGLQ
--
Brotherly Love, Relief & Truth.