Logic and Our Current Situation
Torence
2010-08-10 14:21:04 UTC
Brother Doug Freyberger states that, “Logic is more than reason.
Logic is a method and a set of rules that can tell if a statement is
true based upon the truth of supporting statements.” As Masons we are
taught to revere Logic as it forms the basis of one of the seven
Liberal Arts and Sciences. But how would we square up the use of
allegory, the Hiramaic legend, our tendency to dupe the newcomer into
to believing that the way we practice our art currently is that method
which has been performed in the past, the baggage of an inherited
heavy governmental paternity, etc. against our professed reverence for
Truth? Are we as Masons acting in accordance with Logic? Would our
society be improved if we discarded or diminished Geometry in our
instruction and focused instead on this other course for study?
Brother Doug further states that “Grammar is about being
understood. Rhetoric is about convincing others. Logic is about
finding the Truth. What a powerful set of steps for making a good man
better?”
How, then, does Geometry figure in with these three?

Fraternally,
Torence Evans Ake
Secretary – Auburn Park No. 789 – Crete, Illinois
PM – Arcadia Lodge No. 1138 – Lansing, Illinois
Doug Freyburger
2010-08-10 21:07:29 UTC
Brother Doug Freyburger states that, "Logic is more than reason.
Logic is a method and a set of rules that can tell if a statement is
true based upon the truth of supporting statements." As Masons we are
taught to revere Logic as it forms the basis of one of the seven
Liberal Arts and Sciences.
I've been writing articles on the seven liberal arts and sciences for
the regional "Temple Topics" newspaper. Thanks Bro Torence for noticing
that I had not yet posted my latest one to SOF. I just posted a copy.
But how would we square up the use of allegory, the Hiramaic legend,
Logic may be more than reason in the sense that it is reason honed to a
fine edge, but truth is also broader than reason* Mystical/poetic truth
through faith is a part of the third degree lessons so it doesn't appear
directly in my discussions of the seven liberal arts and sciences as I
currently visualize the rest of the series. Not until I get to the
seventh one anyways. Mixing alegory and astronomy is all about
mystical/poetic truth though both philosophy and faith.

* Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem is a formal proof of my otherwise ill
defined "truth is also broader than reason" - Any system of logic will
contain true statements that can not be proved using that system.
our tendency to dupe the newcomer into
to believing that the way we practice our art currently is that method
which has been performed in the past, the baggage of an inherited
heavy governmental paternity, etc. against our professed reverence for
Truth? Are we as Masons acting in accordance with Logic?
Wow, that's a mixed list.

Are we as Masons restricted to only act in accordance with Logic?

Captain Kirk tended to beat Commander Spock in multilevel chess for the
reason that sometimes emotion and faith alloyed with reason beat reason
unalloyed. Logic may be reason honed to a fine edge but not every job
requires a knive blade.

Oops, there I go mentioning metalurgy. That's advanced enough that the
first articifer in metal is mentioned in a different degree. It's
almost as if this stuff was planned like that, isn't it?
Would our
society be improved if we discarded or diminished Geometry in our
instruction and focused instead on this other course for study?
Brother Doug further states that "Grammar is about being
understood. Rhetoric is about convincing others. Logic is about
finding the Truth. What a powerful set of steps for making a good man
better?"
As I do an article on each of the seven I will build my thesis on why
they are in that order and why, in the context of the Fellowcraft
degree, geometry is listed as the most important. I don't think
geometry is the most important in general, just the most important in
the context of the working man's life.

The fourth is arithmatic which I'll do next. Geometry is fifth in the
list and I'm progressing along the list in order building on my thesis
for why the seven are a part of the second degree and thus a part of
the preparation for the sublime degree.
How, then, does Geometry figure in with these three?
So far I've been asked to include Sacred Geometry in my discussion of
that topic. It's something I will need to study
Torence
2010-08-11 16:54:45 UTC
Post by Doug Freyburger
As I do an article on each of the seven I will build my thesis on why
they are in that order and why, in the context of the Fellowcraft
degree, geometry is listed as the most important.
I always assumed that it was just a conventionality; but then again,
I have often wondered the same way about the alphabet. Why are the
characters listed in that particular order? Is it because of that
stupid song?
Post by Doug Freyburger
Mystical/poetic truth
through faith is a part of the third degree lessons so it doesn't appear
directly in my discussions of the seven liberal arts and sciences as I
currently visualize the rest of the series.
Here again, your research may be hindered via the tyranny of the
“OR.” Touching upon the face of T.G.A.O.T.U. is aided when the subject
employs both faith and science. To exemplify I will point out the
bumble bee. Aerodynamically speaking the bee should not be able to
fly. By the rules of science this particular creature should not be
able to survive. But as an instrument for pollination the bee is so
essentially necessary that it must exist, so T.G.A.O.T.U. simply wills
it so. This illustration, puerile as it may be, employs both faith
“AND” science.
Post by Doug Freyburger
. Mixing alegory and astronomy is all about
mystical/poetic truth though both philosophy and faith.
My eldest brother has a PHD in Astronomy which he received when he
was just 26 years old. I like to point out to him from time to time
that the ancients employed faith to explain the universe which was
limited for them to what could be perceived by the naked eye. Now, we
have advanced instruments which my biological brother, who is not a
Mason, designs. His company designed the Deep Space instrument package
in the Hubble, the FUSE satellite, the UAV Observatory etc. What the
science could use now is an update and reintroduction of faith “and”
science to explain phenomena. To comprehend both the vastness and
simultaneous singularity of space and time, to stare into the abysmal
darkness of a Black Hole or to comprehend the explosive force of the
Quasar, must require a bit of Him Who Does All Things Well to grasp at
the wonder.
Are there allegorical lessons to be found in modern astronomy the
same way that the ancients taught morality with their handful of
stars?
Post by Doug Freyburger
Any system of logic will
contain true statements that can not be proved using that system.
“Or” so we assume.
Post by Doug Freyburger
Wow, that's a mixed list.
There’s a specter that haunted twentieth century Masonry. Break
Free, my Brothers, all you have to loose are your chains.
Post by Doug Freyburger
That's advanced enough that the
first articifer in metal is mentioned in a different degree. It's
almost as if this stuff was planned like that, isn't it?
When the Ancients and Moderns unified, the Lodge of Reconciliation
discarded the “old points” in favor of “new points” because the
popular entertainment at the time was lecturing. American and English
relations being what they were then, for nineteenth century Masonic
life, the old points persisted on this side of the big water while the
Lodge of Promulgation saw to it that the various English Systems
permanently set them aside. These points are those that Joseph Smith
stole for his Temple Endowment Ceremony here in Illinois. They formed
the basis of the degree formula where each part of our ceremonials
exemplified the characteristics of the differing Tribes of Israel. The
Salvation Army, even, developed these points to form the formula for
their twelve step program. Again, faith and science, taken together,
forms the basis of the most useful knowledge; and though our English
cousins took a more scientific and less faith based approach, we all
will be enriched as these lost elements are again made plain.
Or, so I pray.

Fraternally,
Torence Evans Ake
Secretary – Auburn Park Lodge No. 789 – Crete, Illinois
PM – Arcadia Lodge No. 1138 – Lansing, Illinois
Doug Freyburger
2010-08-12 04:03:08 UTC
Post by Torence
Post by Doug Freyburger
As I do an article on each of the seven I will build my thesis on why
they are in that order and why, in the context of the Fellowcraft
degree, geometry is listed as the most important.
I always assumed that it was just a conventionality;
Maybe the initial order was random, maybe it was deliberate. Once I
took time to ponder the sequence I had no problem finding an underlying
theme. Maybe I made the theme up - Many of my articles contain a
suggestion to see if others can find other meanings.
Post by Torence
Post by Doug Freyburger
. Mixing alegory and astronomy is all about
mystical/poetic truth though both philosophy and faith.
Are there allegorical lessons to be found in modern astronomy the
same way that the ancients taught morality with their handful of
stars?
Are there those and more.
Post by Torence
Post by Doug Freyburger
Any system of logic will
contain true statements that can not be proved using that system.
Or so we assume.
Goedell's Incompleteness Theorem is a proof of it.

One of the features of logic is that once we know that the base
assumptions used are true, then we can know if the derived statement is
true. You just pointed that out in a way that asks if the base
assumptions of Goedell's proof are correct. Check.
Post by Torence
Post by Doug Freyburger
That's advanced enough that the
first articifer in metal is mentioned in a different degree. It's
almost as if this stuff was planned like that, isn't it?
Again, faith and science, taken together,
forms the basis of the most useful knowledge; and though our English
cousins took a more scientific and less faith based approach, we all
will be enriched as these lost elements are again made plain.
Or, so I pray.
The metalurgy references are also alchemy references. Alchemy is not
literally converting base metal to gold. It's about personal
transformation. Just as the rough ashlar is dug from the quarry then
trimmed to the perfect ashlar, a similar set in symbols compare the
process from ore to steel for refining and hardening a man's principles.
Torence
2010-08-13 15:43:58 UTC
The metallurgy references are also alchemy references. Alchemy is not
literally converting base metal to gold. It's about personal
transformation. Just as the rough ashlar is dug from the quarry then
trimmed to the perfect ashlar, a similar set in symbols compare the
process from ore to steel for refining and hardening a man's principles.
A similar analogy can be found in Astronomy where the aspects of
Divinity are revealed equally to Pagans if not more so then they are
to us Christians. Nature is the great teacher of man for it is the
Manifestation of Him Who Does All Things Well. The sky represents
their symbols to mankind and adds nothing by way of explanation. It is
text without commentary, as in Grammar, because text with commentary
often leads to heresy and mistakes, as with Rhetoric. To employ
nature’s universal representations rather than language, a limitless
expression is derived, and our Great Creator is unending whereas we
are finite.
However with Astronomy, the Heavens will discourse their secrets in
proportion only to the preparatory training done by the student. The
Teacher is the Needle, the students are the threads. And if the
philosophical meanings of those Manifestations are beyond the reach of
some, then their ethical and political instruction, exemplified by
allegory, can be grasped by the most common and base among us. Look to
the stars and listen to their story. Then maybe you can retell it.
By means of Arithmetic, the mystic or mathematician does not read a
lecture to his disciple, he merely opens a problem. Masons, both
operative and speculative, must be capable of solving quandaries. The
47th problem is not as beautiful in its solution as it is in its
expression.
These Arts and Sciences all exist in concert with Philosophy and
are correct as long as they do not diminish us into a Craft sold on a
singular creed. Any dogma, to be valid, must be a personal choice. It
is the American way of doing things and as such it cannot, like our
Masonic obligations, be administered by a fatherhood making law. We
derive it from creating a True, Logical mutually respecting
Fraternity.

JHorvath
2010-08-14 16:59:14 UTC
interesting discussions....

most of the references mentioned here do come from alchemy, including
the references to the 7 liberal arts and sciences.

Bro Torence - do you have masonic education talks at Auburn or Arcadia
Lodge?

Fraternally,

Jonathan Horvath
Nunda Lodge #169
GL Committee on Masonic Education
Collegium Alchemicum Council of Research
Torence
2010-08-15 23:23:27 UTC
Post by JHorvath
interesting discussions....
most of the references mentioned here do come from alchemy, including
the references to the 7 liberal arts and sciences.
Bro Torence - do you have masonic education talks at Auburn or Arcadia
Lodge?
Fraternally,
Jonathan Horvath
Nunda Lodge #169
GL Committee on Masonic Education
Collegium Alchemicum Council of Research
Though I love my Brothers, the interest isn't there for new
lectures. I am attending GL classes and we have the occasional
opportunity to share new notions and the old work there. We also have
our Temple Topics publication. If your lodge does not subscribe I can
give you the link & pass to read it online.
When I was active at Arcadia we had an annual Table Lodge where we
could express ourselves a bit. Arcadia, unfortunately, has not had a
candidate in years and I am not a member of that lodge though I was
raised by them and was Master in 1993 and then Secretary for a few
years. However, I do work in a variety of lodges around the area,
Crete, Triluminar, Peotone, Palace. FYI: Palace has a 2nd degree
coming up on 8/26 if you are available. 6:00 dinner 7:00 degree. They
meet in Lansing just south of I-80 off the Torrence Ave exit. (They
named the street after me.) Palace always feeds everyone well.
Perhaps we can work up some sort of event to do at or before Grand
Lodge. I'll be there on Thursday and on Friday the session breaks out
for seminars. We can always organize some sort of fun impromptu
discourse. Friday night, I traditionally play cards with my friends
from Palace. But if you and Doug would like to work on an idea or
notion, we can work on getting some interest before then. I was trying
about this time last year to get a mock trial going. But nothing came
of the idea. Let me know if you want to get together.

Doug Freyburger
2010-08-18 01:20:58 UTC
Post by Torence
Post by JHorvath
Bro Torence - do you have masonic education talks at Auburn or Arcadia
Lodge?
Most of the "Masonic ramblings" articles that I write for the Temple
Topics regional newspaper are the basis for Masonic education talks that
I give at Arlington Heights 1162 and/or Lombard 1098 here in the Chicago
burbs. Friends have reported using some of my articles at their Stated
meetings as well.
Post by Torence
When I was active at Arcadia we had an annual Table Lodge where we
could express ourselves a bit.
To me the Table Lodge is the best repeatable event available to craft
lodges. Whenever I find out about one I ask for a reservation and to
make either a discourse or a response.
Post by Torence
Perhaps we can work up some sort of event to do at or before Grand
Lodge. I'll be there on Thursday and on Friday the session breaks out
for seminars. We can always organize some sort of fun impromptu
discourse.
I tend to arrive noonish on Thursday and the city is small enough that
I've seen nearly all of the tourist sites on the various lists.

Thursday evening there's the Secretary's Association dinner and
presentation. They always have an educational speaker who sometimes
also speaks at the annual Lodge or Reseach meeting.

Off the cuff talks on random Masonic discussions is something I consider
great fun. Not many brothers share my tastes on the matter. ;^)
Torence
2010-08-18 14:01:34 UTC
Post by Doug Freyburger
Off the cuff talks on random Masonic discussions is something I consider
great fun. Not many brothers share my tastes on the matter. ;^)
Doug and I share the same mental illness; but it is not easy to find
other Brothers who enjoy extemporizing. I believe that many enter the
fraternity with the interest; but when their particular pond is found
to be but a puddle, they leave and do not return.
I have skipped the Secretary’s dinner over the years admittedly in
favor of carousing. Perhaps this year I will go with my higher self
and join you. However, I may not be able to resist that particular
demon.
Food fight anyone?

PM – Arcadia Lodge No. 789 – Lansing, Illinois
Doug Freyburger
2010-08-18 20:05:27 UTC
Post by Torence
Post by Doug Freyburger
Off the cuff talks on random Masonic discussions is something I consider
great fun. Not many brothers share my tastes on the matter. ;^)
Doug and I share the same mental illness; but it is not easy to find
other Brothers who enjoy extemporizing. I believe that many enter the
fraternity with the interest; but when their particular pond is found
to be but a puddle, they leave and do not return.
Toastmasters is the place to go for extemporizing in general. Masonic
topics are likely to be rare at their meetings.
Post by Torence
I have skipped the Secretary's dinner over the years admittedly in
favor of carousing. Perhaps this year I will go with my higher self
and join you.
The meeting finishes while the evening is still in swing so the two are
not mutually exclusive. Across the street from the Lincoln Hotel is an
Irish bar that has 3 different stouts and 2 different ciders on tap.
They have coffee, Irish and otherwise. And that's not the only public
house within walking distance.
JHorvath
2010-08-18 20:05:49 UTC
my Lodge doesn't subscribe to Temple Topics but I have heard only good
things about it so please let me know how I can get it!

also - I recently started a research council (Collegium Alchemicum)
and as the name suggests we study the esoteric, alchemical, etc.,
elements found in Freemasonry --- and they are there this isn't
something that is fabricated to fill some "need"... there are all
kinds of things in the Ritual that make little or no sense to
operative masonry but make all the sense in the world if you look at
it through another lens...

frat,

Jonathan
Nunda #169, Crystal Lake, IL

Doug Freyburger
2010-08-10 21:07:34 UTC
Masonic ramblings,

The third in the list of the Seven Liberal Arts and Sciences is logic.
Some philosophers claim that reason is what makes humans different from
the animals. Logic is reason at its finest. If reason is the rough
ashlar and logic is the perfect ashlar.

Logic in its current form was arguably invented by Aristotle. To think
that for all of those millennia before Aristotle reason started from
trial and error and imagination and it took his intellect to refine it
into a form very close to what it still is. Will Durant in his book
ŽThe Greatest Minds and Ideas of All Time¡ called the invention of
logic one of the ten peaks of human progress. He ranked it with the
invention of fire it is so important.

Logic is more than reason. Logic is a method and a set of rules that
can tell if a statement is true based on the truth of supporting
statements. Consider that in the sequence of the seven liberal arts
and sciences. Grammar is about being understood. Rhetoric is about
convincing others. Logic is about finding the truth. What a powerful
set of steps for making a good man better!

Most formulas of logic are still spoken in Latin. Post hoc ergo
proctor hoc means It happened first therefore it caused it. Ex post
facto means Starting from first principles. We may learn these terms
in Latin but the ancient Romans learned them in Greek. Sure enough a
comment to that effect appears in the lecture on orders of architecture
as well.

For all its strength logic has a well known weakness. It has to be
built upon true statements. Get your axioms, your basic assumptions,
wrong and all of the rest is just as wrong but the rest has the
authority of logic to hold it up. This makes examination of our
principles of utmost importance.

How do you apply logic in your day to day life? How do you fit it into
the pattern of the seven liberal arts and sciences?

Fraternal regards,
Doug Freyburger
PM 2007/8 Arlington Heights 1162 Illinois AF&AM
PM 1999 Pasadena 272 California F&AM