Funeral Terms
Torence
2010-04-27 13:39:17 UTC
Last night, a few of us participated in some funeral work for a
ninety year old Brother and fifty-six year member of the fraternity
for Crete Lodge. Unfortunately, this year has seen too much of this
sort of work for us and to lighten the mood I have gathered up some of
the terms that I have heard from the operators at these places. Do you
know any that I can add to my list?
Grief Therapy- The treatment that is received by purchasing the
most expensive viewing and funeral.
Grief Counselor or Funeral Director – Sales persons.
Pre-Need Sales – Paying for services in advance. Nothing like
taking money from customers who can not later complain.
Selection Room- Display room for Products and Services
Mr. Post – The announced caller in a hospital when they page to
have a body removed from a room.
O or Q Signs – A body with an open mouth or a body with an open
mouth and the tongue hanging out.
Temporary Preservation – Embalming
Mummification – Really expensive embalming
Passed to the Arms of God –and Consigned to the Earth – Dead and
Buried.
Beautiful Memory Picture – An embalmed body displayed in the most
expensive casket.
Memorial Park – a cemetery
Lawns as in “Forest Lawns” – cemeteries with lazy caretakers that
use ground markers rather than head stones so that the gardner can mow
over the internment spaces rather than trim around them.
Internment Space – a grave
Babyland- plots for children
Companion Space – the practice of burying one casket above another
to conserve space
Plantings – graves.
Slumber Room – the room to display a body for a wake
Cremains – ashes
Burn and Scatter- or my preferred term “bake and shake” – cremains
disposal at sea or other places
Casket Coach – A Hearse or what fans of the Grateful Dead drive.
Corpse Cooler- Coffins with windows and an ice compartment to keep
the body cool during viewing
Protective caskets – sealed coffins to keep the bugs and moisture
away
Burping Caskets – sealed coffins that also vent gasses so that a
protective coffin does not explode.
Nose Squeezer – a casket with a flat top

Any more?

Fraternally,
Torence Evans Ake
Secretary – Auburn Park Lodge No. 789 – Crete, Illinois
PM – Arcadia Lodge No. 1138 – Lansing, Illinois
Rob Sandilands
2010-04-27 22:36:37 UTC
Post by Torence
[...]
... all together now ...

'O, lay me down in Forest Lawn in a silver casket ...'