Need Help For Saturday's Meeting
Torence
2009-12-01 14:23:42 UTC
On Saturday, I will be meeting with our Illinois Junior Grand Warden,
R.W. Brother Anthony Cracco along with a few of my Brother cohorts. On
the agenda for discussion is the question that I already raised here,
“Why don’t Lodges participate in the Grand Master’s Program?” This is
a question being raised around the State and my sound bit answer is
that these Programs, whose criteria is listed under the “Grand
Master’s Program” thread, is that “Such Programs in their best form
prove to be anachronistic and unfortunately, with the state of the
collective Craft being what it is, appeal to profane motivations.”
The elements that should support Charity, for instance, go against
our teaching in that “Charity is not puffed up, does not behave itself
unseemly.” The elements that support positive social interaction, such
as hosting Lodge Dinners particularly if they involve Fine Dining,
prove to divide the Lodge along generational and financial
distinctions. To do such things “right” by everyone is in actuality a
difficult art. We may be promoting events that hurt our club in
unforeseen ways.
These last couple of weeks, I have visited a variety of Lodges and
Schools with the Officer-Elect who will assume our Senior Deacon’s
chair, a post that I have held in the lodge for the last five years
since we recovered our charter. Two installation events involved
lavish meals, tuxedos for the Officers but also the installation of re-
treaded Past Masters in lodges that cannot attract and raise a new
Brother. In his own comments to me, my prodigy said that had he
attended either installation as a prospective member, he would have
never petitioned because he would have been intimidated by such
affairs.
In this discussion we hope to seed a new direction for Illinois
Masonry that is not so much my idea or the rising Grand
Administrator’s notion. Ever want a chance to reshape our club?
Because the way things work around here, when one jurisdiction
revitalizes there is a cascading effect in the other territories.
Please post your thoughts and I will keep you informed of what works
and what needs more improvement. What is acceptable to the Craft in
our small circle and if anything reaches “The Craft At Large.”
Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Fraternally and Gratefully,
Torence Evans Ake
Secretary-Elect
Auburn Park Lodge No. 789 – Crete, Illinois
PM Arcadia Lodge No. 1138 – Lansing, Illinois
Doug Freyburger
2009-12-05 15:24:06 UTC
There's something about the format of your text that did not cut-n-paste
correctly for me. Also much of the punctuation displays as rectangles.
Looks like some format fancier than plain ASCII.
Post by Torence
On Saturday, I will be meeting with our Illinois Junior Grand Warden,
R.W. Brother Anthony Cracco along with a few of my Brother cohorts. On
the agenda for discussion is the question that I already raised here,
Why dont Lodges participate in the Grand Masters Program?
For a while my lodge did not because we had so few candidates it was
hard to fill the line (I hopped chairs and was in the East twice until
the flow of candidates increased) and pull off degrees (we have since
progressed to the point we are exchanging degrees by visitation).

Last year we ended up qualifying for honorable mention level but we did
not fill out the paperwork because we didn't expect to get enough points
to qualify.

This year we do expect to fill out the paperwork. So in the case of
Arlington Heights 1162 it's been a matter of how healthy the lodge has
been.
Post by Torence
Such Programs in their best form prove to be anachronistic
Improving the points in the program would be good. Below I discuss two
changes I would like and one of them can be done within the Grand
Master's Award of Excellence program.

One issue I've seen is there are plenty of lodges that post their award
plaques so members know the program exists, but I have not seen the
program material on the GL web site. I did not see the details of the
program until I travelled to GL as a warden. The award plaques get
plenty of exposure - The list of events to be done needs more exposure.
I suggest it be posted on the wall at our buildings.
Post by Torence
The elements that support positive social interaction, such
as hosting Lodge Dinners particularly if they involve Fine Dining,
prove to divide the Lodge along generational and financial
distinctions.
Agreed. This evening we're doing a dinner social at the local Shrine
and there are members that can't afford to come to the event. We do
have some sponsored tickets just in case but a brother who can't afford
the dinner is unlikely to show up.
Post by Torence
We may be promoting events that hurt our club in unforeseen ways.
Do you mean in the lodge of excellence program, or more broadly as in
your example of wearing tux at installation?
Post by Torence
Two installation events involved lavish meals, tuxedos for the Officers
One of the many reasons I joined the Masons is I felt it useful to
become comfortable dressing up. I now feel natural in a tuxedo and
that's one of the lessons I learned in the Masons. It's a lesson that I
intended, that I expected, and that I learned.

Viewing Masonry as "Making good men better" teaches me to expect all
sorts of personal excellence issues to be included. Being confortable
dressed up in formal situations is one such personal excellence issue.
Younger brothers tend to be more receptive to suit and tie once I point
that out to them.
Post by Torence
Ever want a chance to reshape our club?
This year my thoughts center around a pair of issues -

1) Getting a lot of candidates through their degrees because there are
currently a lot of candidates. When I read the rules on degrees in
Illinois we can currently do as many as 7 candidates in a single degree
in a day. It's possible that means shifting among first, second, third
and doing degrees one candidate at a time but the details I am
interested in are doing candidates in parallel in the same degree.

As it stands in Illinois we need to do the obligation section
individually unless we get dispensation from the GM. The DDGMs are
enpowered to grant this dispensation by proxy but I've met at least one
DDGM who didn't know that. The lecture section can be done in parallel.

Because the brethren want to move away from doing multiple degrees in
the same day (the young guys *are* showing up for 2+3 together!) I want
to make it easier to put groups of candidates through a single degree
together.

I want no dispension needed to put several candidates through a single
degree together in parallel. I take it plenty of juridictions have
already handled this and have the process working smoothly. How have
you done that? Do you get more than 3 candidates together at the same
altar? It seems harder to do several candidates in a third degree than
in a first or second degree.

This is a topic I've only begun to think about so I am unlikely to
submit a proposal on it at annual communication this year.

2) Praise in public. I like awards and honors that don't violate rules
about brevet titles. While it's true that brothers should be modest
about their own accomplishments we are taught to emulate accomplished
brothers, to rejoice in their successes and to aid them in their
laudable endeavors. To me that adds up to awards and honors, often ones
that come as a surprise to a brother who thought he was just helping out
but who actually stands out as an example.

I've looked at programs like "Honorary Past Master" or "Hiram Award".
I'm tempted to copy the wording from one of these programs as a proposal
at annual communication. But "there ought to be a law" is not always
the best solution to a problem.

Illinois has an existing "Lodge Builder" award that is not formalized in
the by-laws. Currently one of the tasks in the lodge of excellence
program's social events list is giving out a "Community Builder" award
to a non-Mason. If the list also included a social event giving out a
"Lodge Builder" award to a member that would satisfy my goal with no
need for changing by-laws.

Fraternal regards,
Doug Freyburger - a side liner this year
PM 2007-8 Arlington Heights 1162 Illinois AF&AM
PM 1999 Pasadena 272 California F&AM
Torence
2009-12-07 15:30:25 UTC
Post by Doug Freyburger
There's something about the format of your text that did not cut-n-paste
correctly for me. Also much of the punctuation displays as rectangles.
Looks like some format fancier than plain ASCII.
Hmmm… I do not know what the trouble is, surely you can read the
Ancient Masonic Language, once deciphered you will find the garage and
the keys to our Lodge’s space ship. Keep in mind that as Secretary-
Elect I get to fly the Black Helicopter. Want to race?
Post by Doug Freyburger
For a while my lodge did not because we had so few candidates it was
hard to fill the line (I hopped chairs and was in the East twice until
the flow of candidates increased) and pull off degrees (we have since
progressed to the point we are exchanging degrees by visitation).
I raised your very, valid point that when Lodges are struggling to
keep their Charters, that the Grand Master’s Program is more of a
drain on resources that the Lodge may not have at their disposal, than
a help. The threats to Charters can come from GL Officers who are
flippant and eager to exercise the GM’s right to take them; but also
the situation where they cannot attract and raise new members or call
a quorum.
The room quickly divided with staunch supporters of the program
insisting that by choosing elements from the list, the Lodge can be
united and thereby revitalized; and others, who were then tasked to
“come up with programs of your own.” I cannot say that a solution was
reached; but everyone left the session with more food for thought.
Post by Doug Freyburger
One issue I've seen is there are plenty of lodges that post their award
plaques so members know the program exists, but I have not seen the
program material on the GL web site.
Tony’s presentation began with Membership. In Illinois, we have
three vehicles being promoted by the Grand Master to assist Lodges who
wish to grow. The first two, IMHO, are an aberration in antithesis to
the Original Design of Freemasonry and the third constitutes “the
secret” method by which I have done my part to grow four lodges in
four states.
The ITP Program (Invitation to Petition Program) allows a Brother to
propose a name of a profane before discovering whether or not this man
is interested in the Lodge. Accompanied by two other Brothers that
will vouch for him as a likely candidate, if approved, the man is then
approached and asked to petition. If he does, then the petition is
returned to the lodge, read and voted upon at a subsequent meeting.
That night that the ballot is spread, if the lodge chooses to do so,
the degree can proceed.
Web Based Referrals, the Grand Lodge is soliciting men to join
through their web site. The annoying characteristic of the proponents
of this course is that they continue to state that this is “the future
of FreeMasonry.” It is not. Most of us here have had more than enough
experience with profane men asking to join our fraternity via a web
based interest. Invariably they have been found to seek membership for
mercenary motives.
The third is the right. Our Grand Master, Rick Swaney, has asked
each of us to bring at least one petition into our Lodges. This time
tested method has proven to effectively build lodges. We are all in it
here because another Brother introduced us into the fraternity; and, I
will go one step further to declare that every Mason has a duty to his
lodge to do so.
Of course, the obstacle here is that the twentieth century style of
Masonry still prevails in too many of our lodges. That is, an
operating procedure based upon having large roles of indolent names.
For our century that form of Masonry is already dead. We need no
candidates who are dues payers only and a new member that does that
one thing and nothing else, IMHO is not much of a Mason at all.
Post by Doug Freyburger
This evening we're doing a dinner social at the local Shrine
and there are members that can't afford to come to the event.
Did you save me a doggy bag? The spread they lay out for the
Warden’s Night is as fine as you can get in any fancy pants
restaurant.
Post by Doug Freyburger
Do you mean in the lodge of excellence program, or more broadly as in
your example of wearing tux at installation?
Generally speaking, IMHO, the best Masons among us earn a living.
It is nearly impossible to attract them and keep them interested in
our organization if it is dominated by Masons who are not employable
outside the fraternity. In another forum, (and also:
http://masonictempletopics.il.newsmemory.com/ use log-in “Auburn
Park” Password “22”, pg. 4 – Doug Freyberger’s work is always Front
Page News.) we have been discussing government. Through our election
process, IMHO, both at the Grand Lodge and Local Lodge levels it is
important that we change the face of Masonry to reflect who truly
constitute our Lodges, the Laboring Age Mason. It is a disservice to
the Craft to allow the choice spots to continue to held by retirees.
If the traditional duties of those roles cannot be filled by working
Masons, then we need to rethink our Officer’s priorities along the
lines of the Original Plan of Freemasonry that “in it” there is
nothing that will interfere with any duty we owe to God, our Country,
Our Neighbor or Ourselves.
Post by Doug Freyburger
One of the many reasons I joined the Masons is I felt it useful to
become comfortable dressing up. I now feel natural in a tuxedo and
that's one of the lessons I learned in the Masons.
Just keep in mind that clothing is a matter of “usage” not law;
and the Grand Master determines usage. In the end, it is always the
internal not the external qualifications of a man that will determine
his membership.
Post by Doug Freyburger
This year my thoughts center around a pair of issues -
1) Getting a lot of candidates through their degrees because there are
currently a lot of candidates.
Also, the best method has always been and will always remain one
candidate at a time. The vast majority of Blue Lightening and Festival
candidates were pushed through that way because the Lodges cannot
muster the strength to do the degrees in the traditional way, rather
than any choice by the candidate.
Post by Doug Freyburger
2) Praise in public.
More food for thought.

Fraternally,
Russ Kimball
2009-12-31 16:55:05 UTC
Post by Torence
Also, the best method has always been and will always remain one
candidate at a time. The vast majority of Blue Lightening and Festival
candidates were pushed through that way because the Lodges cannot
muster the strength to do the degrees in the traditional way, rather
than any choice by the candidate.
In Massachusetts you can run up to four candidates per degree without
dispensation. Typically we do not do more than one degree on a candidate
per month unless by special dispensation due to extenuating circumstance
(ie. in the military and leaving to go over seas). We also have special one
day classes (regardless of your opinion of them) once or possibly twice a
year.

There are parts where candidates are handled separately. The right of
destitution is done separately. The second section of the 3rd degree is
done separately (but we have an abbreviated format and a long format). In
the case of multiple candidates the short form will be done individually on
the "extra" candidates and they get to watch the last candidate get the long
or "full" form.

Doing candidates together has the added benefit of building ties between
candidates together. They get to work on the cadidates lecture together.
They get to attend lodges of instruction together.

It may not be your GL's cup of tea, but it is quite possible to do multiple
candidates without diminishing the impact of the degrees.

Russ Kimball
PM, Republican Lodge AF & AM
Greenfield, MA