ADMINISTRIVIA: s.o.f. group status
Alan Schwartz
2012-03-19 04:37:35 UTC
Dear s.o.f. readers,

After more than a decade of moderating s.o.f, the current moderation team
(Alan, Jack, and Greg) are all planning to call it quits. s.o.f. is a
low-traffic group, and much of the internet discussion of Freemasonry
is taking place in other fora. There are several options with respect
to the group, and we hope that those of you who still read and post will
chime in with your preferences.

1. s.o.f. can remain a moderated USENET newsgroup, with new moderators.
The new moderators ought to be familiar with the technical aspects
of USENET moderation. s.o.f's current moderation software, which
is hosted on one of my servers, will be turned off, but the configuration
can be transitioned to a new moderator's server if desired (or moderators
can moderate manually, which is not unreasonable for a low-traffic group).

2. The moderators can ask the Big 8 Management Board to convert s.o.f
into an unmoderated group (like alt.freemasonry, but in the soc.
hierarchy).

3. We can simply stop moderating. The group will go silent. Eventually,
if someone cares enough to notify the Big 8 Management Board, they
may initiate a Moderator Vacancy Investigation, which may eventually
lead to formal removal of the group if no one steps up to take over
moderation.

If you have an opinion on the above, please reply and state it. If you
are interested in taking over moderation responsibility for the group,
step up and let people know (along with any qualifications, Masonic
or technical, that you think are relevant). If you think the group
should go away and people should talk elsewhere and you want to invite
people to do so, that's good too.

It's now March 18, 2012, and we'll be following this thread until at
least April 17, 2012, after which time, we hope to take action, such
as announcing new moderator(s), asking group members to select new
moderator(s) from a list of candidates, or letting you know that we've
contacted B8MB to unmoderate the group. If there are no replies to this
posting during that period, we will likely announce and pursue option 3.

Sincerely and Fraternally,

Alan Schwartz (for the s.o.f. moderators)
Alan Schwartz
2012-03-19 04:52:29 UTC
Forgot to add: According to sof's charter (copy at
http://mail.cybermango.org/~sof/charter.txt), moderators must be Masons
in good standing.

- Alan
john watson
2012-03-20 21:55:26 UTC
Post by Alan Schwartz
Forgot to add: According to sof's charter (copy at
http://mail.cybermango.org/~sof/charter.txt), moderators must be Masons
in good standing.
- Alan
I hope that somebody comes up as a moderator. I know there are not many
postings here, but when we do have a thread it is on topic and
informative. If it went down the road of Alt freemasonry, I would be out
of here like a dose of salts. Good luck with the search.

(little bet with self that Mudge will post on this thread)
Doug Freyburger
2012-03-19 22:08:22 UTC
Post by Alan Schwartz
After more than a decade of moderating s.o.f, the current moderation team
(Alan, Jack, and Greg) are all planning to call it quits. s.o.f. is a
low-traffic group, and much of the internet discussion of Freemasonry
is taking place in other fora. There are several options with respect
to the group, and we hope that those of you who still read and post will
chime in with your preferences.
Thank you for your service.
Post by Alan Schwartz
1. s.o.f. can remain a moderated USENET newsgroup, with new moderators.
The new moderators ought to be familiar with the technical aspects
of USENET moderation. s.o.f's current moderation software, which
is hosted on one of my servers, will be turned off, but the configuration
can be transitioned to a new moderator's server if desired (or moderators
can moderate manually, which is not unreasonable for a low-traffic group).
If a free server can be provided I am willing to be on the moderation
team. I already pay for commercial service for moderation of one group
and that's it for paid.

UseNet qualifications - Moderation team for news.groups.proposals,
soc.religion.asatru, news.admin.moderation. Last moderator or record
for now defunct soc.religion.shamanism. A member of the newgroup
mentors team.

Masonic qualifications - Life member and PM in 2 US jurisdictions.
PM 1999 Pasadena 272 California F&AM
PM 2007-8 Arlington Heights 1162 Illinois AF&AM We just consolidated so
now it's Monitor-Lounsbury 522
Post by Alan Schwartz
2. The moderators can ask the Big 8 Management Board to convert s.o.f
into an unmoderated group (like alt.freemasonry, but in the soc.
hierarchy).
Not feasible for technical reasons. On UseNet every server that carries
newsgroups has its own configuration file. When a group is accepted on
each server it starts out as unmoderated, moderated or local. If any
two servers disagree on which setting they can not exchange articles for
that group. There is no way to see to it that all servers agree at any
time other than creation time.
Post by Alan Schwartz
3. We can simply stop moderating. The group will go silent. Eventually,
if someone cares enough to notify the Big 8 Management Board, they
may initiate a Moderator Vacancy Investigation, which may eventually
lead to formal removal of the group if no one steps up to take over
moderation.
The closest option to setting the group unmoderated is to get a free
server to accept the traffic and use a robot moderator that accepts all
messages. The only processing that would happen would be spam filtering
up front. Were I to set up the robot i'd also set it to reject any
message that is cross posted. The problem is the group would soon
descend to alt.freemasonry status.
Post by Alan Schwartz
If you have an opinion on the above, please reply and state it. If you
are interested in taking over moderation responsibility for the group,
step up and let people know (along with any qualifications, Masonic
or technical, that you think are relevant). If you think the group
should go away and people should talk elsewhere and you want to invite
people to do so, that's good too.
While I am happy to serve as a replacement moderator I am not driven to
do so. I don't offer the free server that would be needed. I know free
servers are available.
Mudge
2012-03-20 02:00:06 UTC
Post by Alan Schwartz
Dear s.o.f. readers,
After more than a decade of moderating s.o.f, the current moderation team
(Alan, Jack, and Greg) are all planning to call it quits. s.o.f. is a
low-traffic group, and much of the internet discussion of Freemasonry
is taking place in other fora. There are several options with respect
to the group, and we hope that those of you who still read and post will
chime in with your preferences.
Thank you for your service - you will be missed by many (including me)
who will have no truck with The Twits or Face crowds now or ever.
Whatever you decide will be fine with most of us I suspect !
--
BES (in Calgary)
Fix the biosphere - eliminate people
R***@hotmail.com
2012-03-20 14:17:21 UTC
Post by Mudge
Post by Alan Schwartz
Dear s.o.f. readers,
After more than a decade of moderating s.o.f, the current moderation team
(Alan, Jack, and Greg) are all planning to call it quits. s.o.f. is a
low-traffic group, and much of the internet discussion of Freemasonry
is taking place in other fora. There are several options with respect
to the group, and we hope that those of you who still read and post will
chime in with your preferences.
Thank you for your service - you will be missed by many (including me)
who will have no truck with The Twits or Face crowds now or ever.
Whatever you decide will be fine with most of us I suspect !
I agree with the sentiments. I have followed s.o.f for quite a while,
posting on very occasionally. I subscribe to two lists
UK-MASONS http://www.ukmason.org.uk/faq.htm

and the ANZMRC list (see www.anzmrc.org )

I gather there are other interesting emal lists - can we guide members
to alternative passive reading?

Cheers, and thanks for the work that has been done.
Tom Accuosti
2012-04-12 03:09:23 UTC
Post by Alan Schwartz
Dear s.o.f. readers,
After more than a decade of moderating s.o.f, the current moderation team
(Alan, Jack, and Greg) are all planning to call it quits. s.o.f. is a
low-traffic group, and much of the internet discussion of Freemasonry
is taking place in other fora. There are several options with respect
to the group, and we hope that those of you who still read and post will
chime in with your preferences.
Wow, I take a little time off, and the whole place goes to pot.

Seriously, Alan, I'm pleasantly surprised to have seen SOF running this
long. For the last several years, more and more Masonic discussion
traffic has moved to Facebook.

Just a few weeks ago, I started cleaning up my blogroll, and I deleted
about 80 blogs that had been deleted, or the authors hadn't posted in
over a year. And that doesn't count the close to 200 blogs that I've
deleted over the last 5 years.

Sadly, I also deleted almost all of the links to online discussion
groups because they also were either down or had no activity. Online web
forums pretty much replaced the Usenet groups that many of us grew up
with in the 90s.

It's not that Masons aren't talking. There are more Freemasonry Facebook
groups than you can count, and there are literally thousands of Masons
on Twitter, not to mention the various lodge accounts that post notices
of events. And more recently, Google+ has been attracting Freemasons who
are tired of Facebook. Go figure.

Alan, thank you for the time and effort that you and the others put into
this. I remember stumbling across this group (and alt.freemasonry) a
dozen or so years ago, and the discussions here led to my deciding to
petition the local lodge. The discussions also added considerably to my
Masonic knowledge, especially in the practices and customs in other
states and parts of the UK.

I know it sounds like I'm assuming that SOF will close, but considering
the state of alt.freemasonry, I don't see it remaining anything like
it's been.

My fraternal regards to you, Jack, Greg, and the dozens of great guys
(and a few women) that I've met over the years.
--
Tom Accuosti
http://masonictao.com

Exalted Keeper of the Secrets of Freemasonariansim
Grand Sovereign Pontiff and Secret Enquisitor
Ambassador to Zeta-Reticula

P.M., Friendship #33.3 AM&FM
Area 51, Atlantis
Jim B.
2012-05-21 12:24:02 UTC
Post by Alan Schwartz
After more than a decade of moderating s.o.f, the current moderation team
(Alan, Jack, and Greg) are all planning to call it quits. s.o.f. is a
low-traffic group, and much of the internet discussion of Freemasonry
is taking place in other fora. There are several options with respect
to the group, and we hope that those of you who still read and post will
chime in with your preferences.
Hi, Alan. I keep trying to post but it appears there's an interface problem.

As a member of the SOF Arbitration Team, I'd like to thank you guys for
picking up when the original moderators felt the need to retire some years
ago.

I wonder if the newsgroup has outlived its usefulness, given that Usenet is,
more or less, dead.

All the best.

Jim, PM No. 44, Vancouver
Scott Cole
2012-05-27 14:41:10 UTC
Post by Jim B.
Post by Alan Schwartz
After more than a decade of moderating s.o.f, the current moderation
team (Alan, Jack, and Greg) are all planning to call it quits. s.o.f.
is a low-traffic group, and much of the internet discussion of
Freemasonry is taking place in other fora. There are several options
with respect to the group, and we hope that those of you who still read
and post will chime in with your preferences.
Hi, Alan. I keep trying to post but it appears there's an interface problem.
As a member of the SOF Arbitration Team, I'd like to thank you guys for
picking up when the original moderators felt the need to retire some
years ago.
I wonder if the newsgroup has outlived its usefulness, given that Usenet is,
more or less, dead.
All the best.
Jim, PM No. 44, Vancouver.
There are still some old farts that hang out on usenet. I grant you
though they seem far and few between.

Scott Cole
Naphtali Lodge #389
Center, Indiana

Torence
2012-04-20 13:56:56 UTC
It has been awhile since I have used the newsgroup. Over the years we have had quite a few lively discussions that actually facilitated positive change in mainstream Masonry for the jurisdictions of Illinois, West Virginia, Ohio, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Virginia, etc.; and, I will join Doug Freyberger to volunteer as a moderator. However,be warned, I am usually the one participant more than any who should be monitored.

Here's a new post that might refresh your interest:

FYI: After so many badly handled incidences regarding discipline, i.e. Illinois in 1993 & 2003, West Virginia in 2006, Virginia, Georgia, Ohio, New York and most recently Arizona etc. the thought is out there to discard "that old book of misdemeanors," the Constitution and By-Laws, all together and at last remove the function of discipline from the decayed incompetents who manage to gain high office just to then disparage their Brothers.

Any thoughts?

Torence Evans Ake
Secretary - Auburn Park Lodge No. 789 - Crete, Illinois
MIGS - Triluminar Lodge No. 767 - Lansing, Illinois
MIGS - Illinois Lodge of Research
PM - Arcadia Lodge No. 1138 - Lansing, Illinois