Nice to be back and see a few familiar names
Tom K>
2011-08-27 15:23:52 UTC
Good evening/morning, Brethren,

After a hiatus of 8 years it was nice to check back and see some

familiar names, and no Joken (OFLF).

Fraternally,

Tom Krummell, PM

Secretary

Penrhyn Gold Hill Lodge #32

Penryn, CA
J. Bennie
2011-09-11 04:17:01 UTC
Post by Tom K>
Good evening/morning, Brethren,
After a hiatus of 8 years it was nice to check back and see some familiar
names, and no Joken (OFLF).
Hi, Tom. He vanished a long time ago. In fact, he's kind of a vanishing
breed. The antis who populate Usenet these days are foul-mouthed racists and
conspiracy kooks. They're merely talking to themselves and have no affect on
the real world, certainly not the Masonic one.

It's always nice to see some old friends on Usenet. I don't get here these
days as ISPs have decided Usenet is obsolete and removed their news servers.

Jim, No. 44, Vancouver

Mudge
2011-09-12 01:52:05 UTC
Post by J. Bennie
Post by Tom K>
Good evening/morning, Brethren,
After a hiatus of 8 years it was nice to check back and see some
familiar names, and no Joken (OFLF).
Hi, Tom. He vanished a long time ago. In fact, he's kind of a vanishing
breed. The antis who populate Usenet these days are foul-mouthed
racists and conspiracy kooks. They're merely talking to themselves and
have no affect on the real world, certainly not the Masonic one.
It's always nice to see some old friends on Usenet. I don't get here
these days as ISPs have decided Usenet is obsolete and removed their
news servers.
There are still a few NNTP servers around - a few are free and a few
(like mine) cost a bit, but are at least dependable !
--
The Canadian Curmudgeon (in Calgary)
Remove noxious CO2 - plant many trees
Tom Accuosti
2011-11-15 01:01:24 UTC
Post by Mudge
Post by J. Bennie
Post by Tom K>
Good evening/morning, Brethren,
After a hiatus of 8 years it was nice to check back and see some
familiar names, and no Joken (OFLF).
Hi, Tom. He vanished a long time ago. In fact, he's kind of a
vanishing breed. The antis who populate Usenet these days are
foul-mouthed racists and conspiracy kooks. They're merely talking to
themselves and have no affect on the real world, certainly not the
Masonic one.
It's always nice to see some old friends on Usenet. I don't get here
these days as ISPs have decided Usenet is obsolete and removed their
news servers.
There are still a few NNTP servers around - a few are free and a few
(like mine) cost a bit, but are at least dependable !
I hadn't checked alt.freemasonry for some time, but even then I was
surprised to see that there wasn't a single Masonic post. OTOH, perhaps
the best thing to do would be to have the actual Masons post on a group
with a name like alt.overcooked.chicken.and.greenbeans, and let the
kooks and antis have alt.freemasonry.

Nice to see SOF still around, though.
--
Tom Accuosti
http://masonictao.com

Exalted Keeper of the Secrets of Freemasonariansim
Grand Sovereign Pontiff and Secret Enquisitor
Ambassador to Zeta-Reticula

P.M., Friendship #33.3 AM&FM
Area 51, Atlantis
Mudge
2011-11-15 21:25:59 UTC
Post by Tom Accuosti
I hadn't checked alt.freemasonry for some time, but even then I was
surprised to see that there wasn't a single Masonic post. OTOH, perhaps
the best thing to do would be to have the actual Masons post on a group
with a name like alt.overcooked.chicken.and.greenbeans, and let the
kooks and antis have alt.freemasonry.
alt.Masonic.members is still sitting there, quiet and unnoticed by the
kooky crowd !
Post by Tom Accuosti
Nice to see SOF still around, though.
Even tho no one hardly ever drops by !
--
BES (in Calgary)
Eat Cow, Drill Oil, Rope Calves, Live Free
Doug Freyburger
2011-11-17 03:40:20 UTC
Post by Mudge
Post by Tom Accuosti
I hadn't checked alt.freemasonry for some time, but even then I was
surprised to see that there wasn't a single Masonic post.
I read AF with my kill file set very agressively. I drop all cross
posts no matter what group, every anonymous post and I have a lot of
author kills. It doesn't leave much traffic but the little that
survives the cull tends to be on topic.
Post by Mudge
Post by Tom Accuosti
Nice to see SOF still around, though.
Even tho no one hardly ever drops by !
That's the standard trend for moderated newsgroups. The quality is much
higher but the volume is much lower. It's not a reflection of the group
itself but rather an expression of that general trend.

Yesterday we had our monthly dinner social.

Tomorrow I do Junior Warden in a multiple first degree. Last I heard
there will be 3 candidates with 2 from other lodges by courtesy. In
Illinois we can do 3 at the altar at the same time so it's a good
practical maximum. More than 2 and we have to do the entire first
section over again with the next batch.

This afternoon Saturday I get installed Senior Warden again.

There's a Shrine ceremonial Saturday morning but 4 events int he same
week is too much. I did 4 events last week so it's too much too close
together.
Bellende Belhamel
2011-11-15 21:26:42 UTC
Post by Tom Accuosti
Post by Mudge
Post by J. Bennie
Post by Tom K>
[...]
Well I am not a mason, and everytime I post
it is moderated out, but now I understand why.
It is a mason only newsgroup, wasn't aware of that.

Ah well, this might get moderated out again too. ;o)

======================================= MODERATOR'S COMMENT:
(sof is not Mason-only, and moderates based on post content, not poster, - Moderator)
J. Bennie
2011-11-15 21:26:51 UTC
Post by Tom Accuosti
I hadn't checked alt.freemasonry for some time, but even then I was
surprised to see that there wasn't a single Masonic post. OTOH, perhaps
the best thing to do would be to have the actual Masons post on a group
with a name like alt.overcooked.chicken.and.greenbeans, and let the kooks
and antis have alt.freemasonry.
Nice to see SOF still around, though.
Considering how alt groups have, more or less, had their day, it's best to
leave the group to the cross-posting kooks. They're the only ones reading
if, it anyone bothers to read those screeds. Masons and the general public
have noved on.

Jim

Torence
2011-11-17 03:39:40 UTC
But some of us old time Usenet users ( I am 50 now) are still busy at work for the Craft. We had our election of Officers last night and I was sentenced to another year as Secretary. There is a lot of Masonry going on in Illinois; and a lot of changes underway for the better. At one of the Lodges that I work in (Triluminar) we just raised nine Master Masons in three groups of three for each of three lodges. Technically my home lodge (Auburn Park 789) did them as "courtesy-multiple" degrees, but the three lodges benefited. Of the nine, five have been appointed as Officers and all are eager to learn. They come out early to practice etc.

Fraternally,
Torence Evans Ake
Secretary - Auburn Park Lodge No. 789 Crete, Illinois
HM - Triluminar Lodge No. 767
PM - Arcadia Lodge No. 1138 - Lansing, Illinois
MalcolmO
2011-11-17 03:40:27 UTC
This is a more appropriate place for us. :)
cryptoengineer
2011-12-09 21:01:55 UTC
Post by MalcolmO
Post by Tom Accuosti
Nice to see SOF still around, though.
This is a more appropriate place for us. :)
I still drop by occasionally, but don't usually post. Some of you may
remember me from the very early days of the group, and from the
earlier Masonic Digest.

Fraternally,

Peter Trei